POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:54:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: j
Date: 27 Oct 2004 10:25:00
Message: <web.417faecbb45fa19edb959710@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   Extending the deadline serves everyone, ending the competition now
> serves no-one (except perhaps the winner).

Good thing that there is no chance in hell that I will be the winner.

>   Extending the deadline serves the entrants and potential entrants:
> Many people complained that they did not have the time to make an entry
> even though they would have wanted. Some even complained that they started
> making an entry but did not make it in time. Some entrants have expressed
> that they did not have time to develop the image as much as they would
> have wanted.

I think people will be much less angry if the deadline is extended BEFORE
the initial deadline is reached. I have seen these complains on the forum
earlier, and perhaps people should've voiced their concerns well before the
competition ends.

"Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> This being a POV-Ray competition, asking people to show off their POV-Ray
> skills is somehow mandatory. Can this turn off people? Perhaps, but the best
> POV-Ray images should be intrinsically POV-Ray made

Agreed, and this shouldn't be limited to just models, but textures as well.
It is not easy to make really good procedural textures in Povray but in
many cases it is possible. So I think the judges should have a certain
level of weighing on pov-made texture as well.  Will all the judges be
familar with Povray so that they can evaluate the technical aspects of the
entries?